Saturday, July 16, 2022

91. I Am Lucille Ball


I Am Lucille Ball. Brad Meltzer. Illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos. 2015. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I am Lucille Ball. When I was a little girl, my mother tried to dress me in ribbons and bows. But I was different from other girls. My idea of fun was horsing around with my dad. He used to throw me up to the ceiling, always catching me and making me laugh.

I Am Lucille Ball is a picture book biography by Brad Meltzer. What you see is what you get, this book celebrates everything Lucy. Well, almost everything. It isn't thorough and comprehensive covering every aspect of her life or even mentioning every single role on radio, television, or film. (But I wouldn't expect it to.) The book mainly focuses on her dream, her following her dream, and her being true to herself while following that dream. I'm not convinced every single [picture book] biography needs a moral. (Why can't you just learn about people without the moralizing?) But this one definitely feels didactic towards the end.

"I am Lucille Ball. I believe that humor can take on anything. We all need laughter--every single one of us. And for the best comedy, people have to believe in you. But for that to happen, you have to believe in yourself. I Love Lucy wasn't just the title of the show. It was my most important life lesson: In this world, the person you need to love most is you."

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: