Friday, July 1, 2022

80. The Last Firehawk: The Ember Stone


The Ember Stone (The Last Firehawk #1) Katrina Charman. Illustrated by Jeremy Norton. 2017. 96 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: TA – RAAAA! A horn sounded through Valor Wood. Tag watched as owls of all sizes swooped down from the trees. Training time! Tag thought, excitement bubbling in his tummy.

Premise/plot: The Last Firehawk: The Ember Stone is the first in a new series for young readers. It is animal fantasy packed with plenty of action and adventure. Tag, our protagonist, is an owl who wants more than anything to become an Owl of Valor, a warrior. He wants to help battle against the evil Thorn, a vulture. And quite by accident Tag may have made quite a significant contribution...in an unexpected way. He happens upon an egg that hatches....wait for it, wait for it....the last firehawk. And it is this new friend who may make all the difference in the world. And it starts with the friends--Tag, the firehawk, and Skyla (a squirrel) searching for the Ember Stone. 

My thoughts: I liked this one just fine. I wasn't personally on the edge of my seat. But I wouldn't necessarily expect to be. Part of me wishes it wasn't an owl book. Again, that is just me. I do like animal fantasy in general. This is definitely that plus a good old-fashioned quest-to-save-the-world action packed novel. The first books in such series are rarely the best of the bunch--just a fact. 

There are illustrations on every page.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: