Friday, July 29, 2022

117. Baby Squeaks


Baby Squeaks. Anne Hunter. 2022. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Baby Mouse was a quiet baby...at first.

Sometimes a pause speaks volumes. I love a good pause in a picture book. Baby Squeaks is fun new picture book. A Mama mouse is super, super, super, super, super excited and thrilled when her baby learns to speak. (The first word and the billionth word are the same--squeak.) Soon her quiet baby is anything but quiet. Mama misses the peace and quiet. But Baby Mouse left on his or her own, well, can be a little dangerous. [Or perceived to be dangerous.] Baby Mouse starts wandering around talking, talking, talking, talking to everyone. Can Mama Mouse find Baby Mouse? 

I liked this one. I'm torn between liked and really liked. [I'm not quite prepared to love it.] I'm genuinely torn between finding the illustrations expressionless and full of expression. I just can't make up my mind. I think the eyes can be very expressive on the animals. But there is also something very still about the illustrations. I do like the book. I do.

The book is predictable (which isn't a bad thing). 

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: