Friday, July 22, 2022

104. Cornbread & Poppy at the Carnival


Cornbread and Poppy at the Carnival. (Cornbread and Poppy #2) Matthew Cordell. 2022. [May] 80 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Cornbread was hungry. His best friend, Poppy, was eleven minutes late for lunch. "Cornbread, I have the best news!" said Poppy, finally arriving at his door. Cornbread loved Poppy, but he always worried when she had "the best news." "Come in, Poppy," Cornbread said. "The last time you had the best news, we saw that terrible movie you wanted to see. I had nightmares for a week." Cornbread was afraid of monsters. "The time before that when you had the best news we ate that terrible runny cheese you wanted to eat. It upset my stomach for hours." Cornbread was afraid of runny cheese. "And the time before that when you had the best news, we explored the old Crawdad Caverns...and I fainted." Cornbread was afraid of the dark.

Premise/plot: Cornbread and Poppy are best, best, best, BEST FRIENDS. But the two are VERY different from one another. This book is about Poppy's BEST IDEA EVER which is for the two of them to go to the carnival together. The two have many adventures (and perhaps a misadventure) at the carnival....the day will be memorable!

My thoughts: I loved, loved, loved, loved, LOVED this early chapter book. I loved Poppy. I loved Cornbread. I am so glad these two have each other. (Yes, I know they are fictional.) I identify strongly with Cornbread!!! I definitely recommend this series.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: