Saturday, July 30, 2022

120. Lily to the Rescue


Lily to the Rescue (Lily to the Rescue #1) W. Bruce Cameron. 2020. 128 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: My name is Lily, and I have a lot of friends. My best friend of all, of course, is Maggie Rose. In the nighttime, I sleep on Maggie Rose's bed, pressed up against her warm legs. I get to lie there until Mom or Dad pokes a head in the doorway and says the word school. Maggie Rose will groan a little, and then she climbs slowly out of bed and puts on her clothes and goes into the kitchen for breakfast with her brothers. While she's changing clothes, I lie on the bed, missing her legs and trying to show her that we would all be happier if she just climbed back under the covers. But she never does that on days people say school. I don't know why. I think school must be a place....

Premise/plot: Lily, our dog protagonist, loves, loves, loves her life. At home she's surrounded by her people. At work she's surrounded by animals. Maggie Rose's mother is a veterinarian at an animal shelter. Lily helps out at the animal shelter...

In this first adventure, Lily is helping out a crow (named Casey) with a broken wing...

My thoughts: Animal fantasy is nothing new for young readers. But surely they can't all be as delightful as Lily to the Rescue????? I definitely enjoyed her voice and point of view. It was cute without being nauseatingly so. (At least in my opinion.) The book was just a joy to read from start to finish.

Highly recommended and no need to worry...even though there is a dog on the cover.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: