Friday, July 29, 2022

114. Board Book: This Is My Daddy


This Is My Daddy. Mies van Hout. 2020. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

 First sentence: Who is my Daddy?

This Is My Daddy is a board book that delighted me. The premise is super simple yet clever. On the left side of each spread, readers meet an animal--or is creature the right word???--asking one question: WHO IS MY DADDY? (Repetition can be such a good thing in picture books!) On the right side of each spread, readers see FOUR options. Readers are being asked to match the baby and daddy. 

The premise is fun and clever. Because sometimes babies and daddies do NOT look like one another. For example, like the tadpole and frog OR the caterpillar and butterfly. (Sometimes it is more obvious) It ends with a fun twist--a human child--asking the question. But the four options...well...you'll see when you pick this one up for yourself.

I'm not sure this is truly thirty-two pages. I read a board book of this one. I think there might be a picture book edition as well.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: