Wednesday, July 20, 2022

100. The Firefly Fix


The Firefly Fix (Trouble at Table 5 #3) Tom Watson. Illustrated by Marta Kissi. 2020. 96 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: IT WAS BEDTIME on Tuesday. But I wasn’t in bed. “Mom! Dad!” I called from the top of the stairs. “Yes, Molly?” Mom called back. “There’s a strange light outside!” I spoke loud enough to reach all the way to the living room. Mom and Dad like to read down there at night. “What’s strange about it?” Dad said loudly. “It’s like a long, straight beam of light,” I answered.

Premise/plot: Molly (and her friends) are back in a third adventure. This book centers around a science fair. But, of course, it opens with a "problem" that has become "stuck" in Molly's mind. That problem is a giant searchlight across town. Where did it come from? Why is there? How long will the lights be on? For better or worse, her parents drive Molly across town until they come across the glaring searchlight and she is able to go ask all her questions....

But as I mentioned, this book is about a SCIENCE FAIR at school. The book opens on Tuesday night. The students must have their topics on Wednesday. Thursday is for researching projects. And Friday are the presentations. Molly and her friends Simon and Rosie have a topic...in part inspired by the bright lights of the opening chapter...their topic is FIREFLIES. 

My thoughts: I can identify with Molly a good majority of the time. But the problem that got "stuck" on my mind was how unrealistic it was for a science fair project to be assigned on Tuesday and have to be presented on Friday. Molly's parents are also super super super enabling and indulgent. I'm not sure how realistic that is to drive around town--past bedtime, after everyone has gotten ready for bed--and look for a mystery light. But I do enjoy the series. I have every intention of reading the whole series. I'm just loving Molly.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: