Thursday, July 20, 2023

195. A Book for Bear


A Book for Bear. Ellen Ramsey. Illustrated by MacKenzie Haley. 2023. [July] 32 pages. [Source: Review copy] [picture book; books about books; friendship]

First sentence: Bear loved books. Every day, Bear sat at the edge of the woods and listened to a girl read. The girl, whose name was Ellen, loved to read. Bear loved to listen. Ellen read....scary books, exciting books, funny books.

Premise/plot: Bear loves, loves, loves books. And he's appreciative of Ellen reading him stories. But he wants to CHOOSE his own book. The two try to come up with the perfect plan for allowing Bear to pick out his own book: the school library, the public library, the bookstore. But in all three, BEARS aren't allowed and their plans, well, they don't go according to plan. Will Bear ever get a book of his own choosing?

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. I loved Bear. I loved Ellen. I loved the planning and scheming. It was cute to see their plans in the illustrations. I was satisfied with their conclusion. I think it makes it even more special. I could definitely see a reading and/or writing teacher using this in an elementary classroom. (Especially younger ages.)

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: