Saturday, July 8, 2023

160. What Cat Likes Best


What Cat Likes Best: Rhymes for Children. Erwin Moser. Translated by Alistair Beaton. 2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The polar bear likes snow, not sun!
The hare eats cabbage by the ton.
The cats are waiting for their tea.
The mouse says, "Please don't look at me!"
The rooster cries out, "Time to wake!"
The panda likes to take a break.

Premise/plot: What you see is NOT what you get. If you are expecting thirty-two pages of kitties, then you'll be disappointed. I knew it was "rhymes for children," but at the very least I thought they would mostly be cat-themed rhymes. Each spread contains a rhyme--a couplet, I believe. But each page stands on its own. There is no continuity. There's plenty of rhyme but not so evident reason. 

My thoughts: Erwin Moser was an Austrian author/illustrator. Once you get an idea of what the book is and isn't, then it is easier to "forgive" it for not being about cats. The rhythm seems solid in my opinion, so there's that at least.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: