Wednesday, July 12, 2023

172. The Fantastic Bureau of Imagination


The Fantastic Bureau of Imagination. Brad Montague. Illustrated by Brad and Kristi Montague. 2023. [March] 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: Welcome to the Fantastic Bureau of Imagination. Apologies, but humans are not allowed to see the outside of our secret headquarters. It is highly classified. You'll just have to imagine it. Some young humans have mailed us art to show what they think our building looks like. They are always wrong. Most of our agency business is handled by curious little creatures known as figments.

Premise/plot: This picture book reveals that "every song that has ever been sung; every piece of art that has ever been hung; every dream that's ever been dreamed" have their source in the FANTASTIC BUREAU OF IMAGINATION. The book gives readers a behind the scenes glimpse of life in the bureau/agency. It follows the adventures and misadventures of the figment, Sparky.

My thoughts: I can't make up my mind on this one. On one hand, I really like elements of it. On the other hand, I'm not quite sure if I love it. It's an odd little picture book. I think it could be good to read aloud for writing teachers. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: