Friday, July 14, 2023

179-183. Board Books on Parade


179. BOARD BOOK: Oakley the Squirrel: Camping 1 2 3! A Nutty Numbers Book. Nancy Rose. 2023. [May] 30 pages. [Source: Library]
 

First sentence: Summer vacation has finally begun. Oakley and friends are ready for fun! They picked a nice campground right next to a lake. Let's look at and count all the things that they take! 1 Red and white camper with an awning for shade. 2 blue and white coolers filled with food that they made. 3 pads and pillows for sleeping in tents.

Premise/plot: Oakley the Squirrel (and friends) is going camping. This counting book showcases that vacation.

My thoughts: Could there be a cuter board book?!?!?! I haven't read the previous Oakley the Squirrel book. (I believe it is an alphabet book). But this one was charming. I loved seeing all the squirrels and squirrel-size objects. Just extremely cute-sy and fun. Counting books abound. But not all are this adorable and unique. 


180. BOARD BOOK: Little Chicks. Taro Gomi. 2018/2023. 26 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Three little chicks run. They run together. They run energetically. They take a rest and then keep running.

Premise/plot: Three little chicks run through ninety percent of this board book. On every spread, these three are running. Why are they running? Don't know. Should we care why they are running? Maybe. 

My thoughts: This one left me with a huh???? I'm not sure why these three chicks are running....and why I should care that they are running. Also why is the sun hot pink or red? Are these three chicks running from the apocalypse??? (Probably not). This one may appeal to other readers.


181. BOARD BOOK: It's Tummy Time! Elise Parsley. 2023. [February] 22 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Daytime. Playtime. Teatime. Tummy time! Nap time. Snack time. Screen time. Tummy time!

Premise/plot: Any time can be the right time for TUMMY TIME. This book celebrates the ordinary moments of family life. Every spread includes TUMMY TIME. But other moments are highlighted too. One of my favorites, for example, is when the baby is getting all the attention--I believe from grandparents?--and it's the older toddler who is having  TUMMY TIME (aka a tantrum on the floor). The book concludes with the mom having "tummy time" in bed getting some much deserved sleep.

My thoughts: I liked this one. I definitely liked it. The illustrations are very expressive. Some of the scenes are super relatable. I like the flow of the text. 


182. BOARD BOOK: I'M YOUR ICE CREAM TRUCK. Hannah Eliot. Illustrated by Belinda Chen. 2023. [May] 18 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I am your ice cream truck! I deliver sweet treats that are cold and frosty and delicious to eat! 

Premise/plot: This novelty board book is in the shape of an ice cream truck. It is told from the ice cream truck's perspective. It is told in first person. 

My thoughts: Novelty board books abound. The production of novelty books will always, always be. This one is predictably exactly what it appears to be. It's not good. It's not bad. It's not anything but silly. I do think the FUN SHAPE will appeal to toddler-sized hands. So much of the "reading experience" of these board books is this hands-on, mouth-on, full sensory experience. It's colorful, an interesting shape, and an opportunity for some one-on-one lap time read aloud. (Or perhaps, it could even be stood up and used during tummy time).


183. BOARD BOOK: I Love You Slow Much. Rose Rossner. Illustrated by Sanja Rescek. 2022. [December] 24 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Just a few lines to say you're ZE-BRAvest kid I know. TOUCAN do anything! I love to watch you grow. You really stand out as a total FLOCK star.

Premise/plot: Love puns? word-play? corny "dad" jokes? Also love sugary-sweet illustrations of animals? 

My thoughts: What you see is exactly what you get. That's not a bad thing. If you're going to commit, commit ALL the way. That's good advice if you're going to be reading this one aloud. If you're going to do it, DO IT. I don't know if little ones will respond with eye-rolling like adult readers may. Then again, I'm not sure they will "get" all the word-play and puns.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: