Wednesday, July 19, 2023

194. Cinderella With Dogs


Cinderella with Dogs! Linda Bailey. Illustrated by Freya Hartas. 2023. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book; fairy tale adaptation; humor; dogs and cats]

First sentence: Poor Cinderella, lonely and sad, was sweeping the ashes from the fireplace. Everyone else had gone off to the ball to dance. She had to stay home--and work! Poor Cinderella never went anywhere. She never had a single bit of fun. Ever! "If only I had a fairy godmother," she said. 

Premise/plot: A Cinderella retelling with a fairy DOGmother! This fairy dogmother has her own ideas of how to fulfill Cinderella's wishes. And her ideas include CHASING SQUIRRELS, running, playing, fetching ball, etc. Will this dog-loving Cinderella still make an impression at the dance? Yes....just maybe not in the traditional way.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I loved seeing all the cats, dogs, and squirrels. I loved the humor. I loved the twists. It was an enjoyable, delightful fairy tale adaptation. I think my favorite part was her 'transformation' by her dogmother! 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: