Saturday, July 8, 2023

158. Board book: For Your Smile


Board book: For Your Smile. Loryn Brantz. 2022. [September] 22 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: For your smile, I'd quack quack like a duck. Because when you're smiling, I can't believe my good luck! For your giggles, I'd hop hop like a bunny. And I'd keep on hopping, as long as you think it's funny. For your belly laugh, I'd tweet tweet like a bird. Because it's the best sound that I've ever heard.

Premise/plot: Board book for very young "readers." This one is illustrated in three colors--black, white, red. The text is a rhyming text. I'd say at least half the book has great rhythm. (The rhythm begins to break up about that point in the text. This may not bother most readers.)

My thoughts: I really loved this one--especially in the beginning. I loved the rhyming rhythm. I was like FINALLY a rhyming book that I can 100% recommend as being super-awesome. And then about halfway through the rhythm becomes a little clunkier. Where the rhythm begins to slip off being oh-so-perfect and just-right to perhaps half a syllable too many per line. Just oh-so-close. I think the majority of readers--especially little ones--won't notice. I think this one still has great potential and is to be recommended.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: