Tuesday, July 4, 2023

148. Oslo Learns to Swim


Oslo Learns to Swim (Ready to Read, Level One) Doug Cushman. 2023. [May] 32 pages. [Source: Library] [Early reader, beginning reader]

First sentence: Where are you going, Rex? I am going swimming. Come with me. Will we be cold? It is a hot day.

Premise/plot: Rex, a warthog, "teaches" his (oh-so-reluctant) friend, Oslo, an oxpecker, how to swim. Oslo has zero interest in learning to swim. NONE. Rex thinks Oslo should want to learn to swim. He's just as insistent as Oslo is resistant. Will Oslo learn to swim?

My thoughts: I was underwhelmed. Granted I am not the intended audience for this one. Granted I overthink things. The over-thinker in me is like why does Oslo *need* to learn how to swim? Why does it matter so much to Rex that Oslo learns to swim just so they can swim together in the future? Like isn't Rex being just a little too pushy if he's a good friend? Why should Oslo have to do something just because his friend wants him too. Isn't this just peer pressure? But I overthink things apparently.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: