Thursday, July 13, 2023

174-178. Kitty Picture Book Parade


174. 10 Cats. Emily Gravett. 2022/203. [May 2023 in U.S.] 32 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: 10 Cats
1 white cat
2 black cats
3 cats with stripes
4 cats with patches

Premise/plot: 10 Cats is a super fun concept book starring ten lovable, adorable, precious cats. It is a counting book and a color book. These curious and mischievous kittens are exploring the wonders--for better or worse--with three paint cans. The three cans of paint are primary colors. This has a similar concept to Mouse Paint--an awesome picture book everyone should know. But it is unique as well.

My thoughts: I loved this one so much! I loved this Mama cat and her nine kittens. I loved the adventures and misadventures! The illustrations are so expressive. The text keeps it simple. But the illustrations are more than capable of telling--of carrying--the story.

Highly recommended as a read aloud.


 175. Being A Cat A Tail of Curiosity. Maria Gianferrari. Illustrated by Pete Oswald. 2023. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: Can you be a cat?
Being a cat
is seeking--
watching, wondering, wandering,
surveying everything around you.
Can you search like a cat?
Perch high. Look low.
Lurk under and around.
What have you found?

Premise/plot: A little girl and her cat star in this picture book. Apparently there is also a BEING A DOG.

My thoughts:  I enjoyed many aspects of this one. I love the questions and answers. I love the imagery. I love the illustrations. My favorite section:

How do you say I love you like a cat?
Jump. Rub. Bunt. Twine. Twist. Wind. Blink once, then twice. Knead. Cuddle. Curl like a question mark. 

Again, highly recommended for cat lovers of all ages. 


176. The Perfect Present. Petr Horacek. 2022/2023. [May] 40 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: Tom and Mot were best friends. Today was Tom and Mot's birthday. 

Premise/plot: Tom and Mot are cats who are best, best friends. They share a birthday. Tom gives Mot a feather. Mot gives Tom a marble. The two use their imaginations throughout the book. The presents are very abstract. 

My thoughts: I hoped to enjoy this one. I think it is still enjoyable if your expectations are reasonable. It is very abstract, in my opinion. The two presents represent very abstract, yet vibrantly creative and imaginative concepts. These two know each other very well. They "speak the same love language" if you will. These are much-appreciated gift. Not just a marble. Not just a feather.


177. This Story is Not About a Kitten. Randall de Seve. Illustrated by Carson Ellis. 2022. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: This story is not about a kitten. A kitten, hungry and dirty, scared and alone, meowing sadly, needing a home. This story is not about the dog who stopped when it heard the kitten, hungry and dirty, scared and alone, meowing sadly, needing a home. This story is not about the dog's people who listened, or the dog who stopped when it heard the kitten...

Premise/plot: This picture book celebrates a community that come together to rescue a kitten. The storytelling format is loosely inspired by "The House That Jack Built...." but perhaps lacking some of the clever rhythm. 

My thoughts: I don't know that the repetitive nature of this format works when the rhythm is so clunky and not quite right. I think the story of a community coming together could be super compelling. And for many readers--less picky readers--this one could still work quite well.


178. A Kitten Tale. Eric Rohmann. 2008. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book]

First sentence: Once there were four kittens who had never seen snow. \

Premise/plot: A Kitten Tale is a fairly basic tale about four kittens. Three of the four kittens are nervous/intimidated/scared of snow. Mind you, the book takes you through ALL of the seasons. So the snow isn't imminent. But the fourth kitten is EXCITED about future snow. This one can't wait. He can't wait in spring. He can't wait in summer. He can't wait in fall. He is READY for whatever may fall from the sky. Will the other three kittens end up liking snow?

My thoughts: I liked this one. The illustrations are super, super adorable. I love the style of the illustrations. I definitely enjoyed the story. It isn't always entertaining to "learn" about the seasons of the year. But if you sprinkle in enough kitten illustrations, I'm hooked.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: