Sunday, July 9, 2023

162. What Hedgehogs Likes Best


What Hedgehog Likes Best: Rhymes for Children. Erwin Moser. Translated by Alistair Beaton. 2023. [April] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The hedgehog's cozy as can be.
Now count the ravens: one, two, three.
The worm lives in her apple-house.
Up in the attic lives the mouse.
The owl is too awake to dream.
The trout is swimming up the stream.
The goat enjoys the morning air.
Those pesky flies get everywhere!

Premise/plot: Yesterday I reviewed What Cats Like Best and What Bears Like Best. All three books are similar. Rhyming couplets featuring animals. No cohesive story, just rhymes that follow a pleasant rhythm. 

My thoughts: I was skeptical a bit at first. My first impression was meh. (Just being honest). But the second time I read them when I was actually writing the review, they began to grow on me a bit. I think knowing that there wasn't a story, that there was no narrative, helped me appreciate them for what they actually do. Here we have rhyme that follows rhythm. Now it is relatively easy to rhyme; I think it comes somewhat naturally. Rhythm is trickier. Some authors get by with very clunky rhythm to their rhymes.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: