Saturday, February 25, 2023

53. To Boldly Go


To Boldly Go: How Nichelle Nichols and Star Trek Helped Advance Civil Rights. Angela Dalton. Illustrated by Lauren Semmer. 2023. [January] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It was TV night--the best night--and I could hear the click-click-clicking of buttons as Dad searched for the right channel. As the sweet syrupy goodness of red Kool-Aid splashed into my glass, I knew the real treat was yet to come. 

Premise/plot: To Boldly Go has a framework--for better or worse. The framework is a young girl and her family coming together around the television set to watch Star Trek [The Original Series.] The family is particularly excited that this television show shows one of their own, someone who looks like them. The book then turns a bit into a more traditional picture book biography. But it isn't traditional--not really. This picture book biography is told--focused--through a lens. The subtitle reveals all. It isn't biography for the sake of biography. It is using a woman's life--and work--to provide context and understanding to a slice of American history. 

My thoughts: Star Trek reruns were on way past my bedtime growing up. I occasionally saw the opening scenes and credits--and I was fascinated. But rarely got to see more. I do like the original series. (Though I'm always Team Next Generation). I definitely wanted to read this picture book biography.

Do I love the framework? Do I wish this picture book was more traditional? more straightforward? I don't know. I think the framework works hand in hand with the lens though which this story unfolds. The framework complements this non-traditional [aka unique] storytelling. 

I liked the text. I definitely learned more about Nichelle Nichols. (I didn't know she was a singer/dancer!) I liked the illustrations as well. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: