Friday, February 17, 2023

46. I Am Picky


I Am Picky: Confessions of a Fussy Eater. Kristen Tracy. Illustrated by Erin Kraan. 2022. [October 18] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Don't look at me and think I'll eat ANYTHING. I will NOT. I am PICKY. I've been choosy my whole life.

Premise/plot: Is this raccoon a picky eater? Is pickiness all in the eye of the beholder? Is it all relative or subjective? Perhaps. The text definitely reveals that everyone is picky sometimes...in differing ways. 

My thoughts: I like picture books about picky eaters. However, while I really LOVED the cover of this one, I thought the story itself was a little too gross for me...personally. No surprise to anyone...that I can be a picky reader. I think the 'gross' nature of this one--the raccoon's favorite treats from garbage cans--will appeal to certain readers. There's an age and stage that this one will appeal to.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: