Wednesday, February 1, 2023

23. I Did It!


I Did It! Michael Emberley. 2022 [October 11] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I can do it! I can't do it! Can I do it? I can't do it! 

Premise/plot: I Did It! is an "I Like To Read Comic" for new readers. The protagonist--who personally reminds me of an animaniac, but that is neither here nor there--is struggling with a series of tasks. These tasks are relatable to young children. It opens with stacking blocks, climbing a rope, catching a ball, etc. But ultimately--where the story spends the most pages--it is about this protagonist trying [and trying and trying and trying] to learn to ride a bicycle. 

My thoughts: If this one had not won the Geisel Award in 2023, I may not have picked this one up at the library. The protagonist looks a little like a clown. But judging this book by the cover was a big mistake. I definitely enjoyed this early reader. The text is super-repetitive and easy to read. It could be a big confidence booster to new readers. And there's a story--that matters. Not all early readers have an actual story that is actually satisfying and worth reading. I also found it universally relatable. [At least I think so.] 

It does remind me of one of my favorite picture books, Leo the Late Bloomer.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: