Friday, February 17, 2023

45. Mushroom Lullaby


Mushroom Lullaby. Kenneth Kraegel. 2022. [October] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: This is a mushroom. This is a mushroom that grows in the park. This is the mushroom that glows in the dark. This is a mushroom growing on a tree. And this little mushroom is hard to see. Here is a mushroom up high in the sky. Here is a mushroom that never stays dry. 

Premise/plot: The jacket copy calls this one "cozy and unique." It is certainly unique. While there are other picture books about mushrooms, they are relatively rare. (The one I'm thinking about are two friends arguing about how to share three mushrooms.) This one is all poem, very little story. 

My thoughts: This is an odd read. On the one hand, I am an adult who absolutely LOVES mushrooms. A day without mushrooms is a sad, sad day. I enjoyed the idea of this one. Though I'm not sure what I expected and how this one held up to my expectations. Did I want more of a story? Maybe. Maybe not.The first half is just all poem; the last half is about someone (???) who lives in a mushroom having friends over and hanging out together. Perhaps all poem with no story. Or perhaps all story with no poem. ON the other hand, I've never met a toddler, preschooler, or young child who wanted anything to do with mushrooms--even fictional ones. I'm not exactly sure *who* this one is for??? 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: