Monday, February 6, 2023

28. Roscoe Riley Rules #1: Never Glue Your Friends To Chairs


Never Glue Your Friends To Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules #1) Katherine Applegate. Illustrated by Brian Biggs. 2008. 79 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Hey! Over here! It's me. Roscoe. Welcome to the Official Roscoe Riley Time-out Corner. Want to hang out with me? I have to warn you, though. We're going to be here for a while.

Premise/plot: Roscoe Riley has GLUE, but not just any glue, it is Super-Mega-Gonzo Glue. It is PERMANENT. Of course, how and why he uses this super-permanent glue is an interesting, humorous story. (He's only got the best intentions, right????) 

My thoughts: This is my first introduction to Roscoe Riley. Apparently there's a series! This one strongly reminds me (in the best way) of Junie B. Jones. It also reminds me of Robert Munsch's humor. I like this early chapter book very much. I could see how it could hook young readers and make them want to read more, more, more.

I am so glad I revisited Katherine Applegate's earlier works. I'm definitely going to see if the library has more of this series.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: