Thursday, November 24, 2022

197. The Wondrous Wonders


The Wondrous Wonders by Camille Jourdy. 2019/2022. 160 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Where'd that girl run off to? She just can't sit still.

Premise/plot: Newly translated into English from the French, The Wondrous Wonders is a MG graphic novel. Jo, the protagonist, is mad-sad (or sad-mad) about her parents divorce. (I believe her father is either marrying someone new, dating someone new, or already married someone new. There is going to be a stepmother in the picture and new step-siblings). In her anger-frustration, she storms away from the family gathering [a picnic???] into the woods. She is RUNNING AWAY and you better believe she is serious. The elves--whom she starts to follow--are fed up by Jo's incessant whining. This elf-couple even starts throwing around the word divorce. Soon, Jo isn't just "meeting" [aka forcing an acquaintance] elves but talking animals [like foxes and ponies] as well. She learns that there is an evil emperor tomcat who is imprisoning folks. Her new "friends" (magical folk she's literally just met) are planning to help those friends/family break out of the emperor's dungeon. But it won't be easy. Jo is part of the problem, though to be fair so is lack of [sophisticated] planning. Though the first attempt may not succeed, Jo's persistent and determined presence may just be enough motivation to keep going. [Jo seems to be annoying just about everyone she meets.] Jo keeps meeting new folks and these new folks keep throwing around the divorce word a lot. Almost like the author wants Jo to learn a little lesson in this fantastical world she's stumbled into. 

My thoughts: I personally felt a disconnect. I had a hard time connecting with the many characters in this fantastical world. When authors go for whimsical/absurd/odd/fantastical, it can be an absolute delight. Or it can just be a little off-putting. And whether you find it delightful or off-putting is completely subjective...with plenty of factors coming into play. For me, it may be the graphic novel format that is keeping me from engaging. [I'm not the biggest enthusiast for graphic novels]. Or it could be it loses a little something in translation. Or it could be just a tiny bit didactic for me.

I do think part of it, for me, is just personal. I have a hard time following stories told mainly through wordless panels. Some pages had text, no doubt. But some pages just had a series of panels. I am HORRIBLE at reading wordless pictures. Just horrible. My comprehension isn't the best of "reading" illustrations [alone] so I tend to skip these panels. Skipping pages isn't fair to the author/illustrator. That's why I am upfront that it is a me problem. 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: