Saturday, November 5, 2022

182. Hairy, Hairy Poodle


Hairy, Hairy Poodle. Marilyn Singer. Illustrated by Abigail Tompkins. 2022. [May] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: There is a dog
that you might meet
in the country,
on the street.
Her coat can simply not be beat.
No other canine
can compete.

Premise/plot: What you see is EXACTLY what you get. If you want to read a book about a HAIRY, HAIRY POODLE look no further than Marilyn Singer's Ready-to-Read early reader. This one stars a poodle whose hair keeps growing and growing and growing and growing and growing. The whole story is told in rhyme and written in verse.

My thoughts: Early readers don't get a lot of coverage on my blog. I tend to forget about this in-between. I love picture books and early chapter books so much that I almost forget about this important go-between stage in reading of being read aloud to and reading on one's own. This is a good early reader. I found it enjoyable, or enjoyable enough. I liked the repetition.


Poodle coming,
Poodle going.
Poodle's curly hair
is growing.
In sunlight, rain, or
big wind blowing,
Poodle's hair
is always growing.


 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: