Thursday, November 3, 2022

180. Our Friend Hedgehog: The Story of Us


Our Friend Hedgehog: The Story of Us. Lauren Castillo. 2020. 128 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Sometimes you make a friend and it feels like you have known that friend your entire life. Hedgehog, Mutty, Mole, Owl, Beaver, Hen and Chicks, and me, Annika Mae. You might think it has always been this way, but it has not. There was a series of events that brought us all together. This is our friendship story. This is the story of us.

Premise/plot: What you see is EXACTLY what you get. This is the story of how Hedgehog's friendship circle expands beyond a stuffed animal [Mutty]. It begins--as many stories do--with a storm. When the storm "steals" Mutty away, Hedgehog sets off on a quest to find her best [and only] friend. Along the way, she'll encounter Mole, Owl, Beaver, a Hen [and her Chicks] and Annika Mae. 

My thoughts: I love, love, crazy love the illustrations. If this cover doesn't shout read me, read me, I don't know what does. The illustrations are so super-sweet and adorable. The story is packed with adventures. Hedgehog is determined on her quest. And it turns out others are kind, welcoming, and helpful. I love that Hedgehog's family expands.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: