Friday, November 11, 2022

191. Autumnblings


Autumnblings. Douglas Florian. 2003. 48 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Autumn falls in late September.

Premise/plot: Autumnblings is a picture book poetry collection by poet/artist Douglas Florian. There are forty-eight autumn/fall themed poems celebrating this season of the year. It blends two art forms--poetry and art [painting]. Many--though not all--involve word play. Almost all are a celebration of nature. 

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I did. I think my favorite poem from this collection--or one of them at least--is the poem "Awe-tumn."

When summer's seams
Have come undone,
Then greens to reds
And purples run.
A palette falls
To forest floor,
And autumn leaves
Leave me in awe.

I also liked the pumpkin poems! I think they would be such a great read aloud in school classrooms. 

The poem about hibernation [aka Hi-bear-nation] was so much fun!!! I loved the word play.

© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: