Sunday, November 6, 2022

186. Under the Christmas Tree


Under the Christmas Tree. Nikki Grimes. Illustrated by Kadir Nelson. 2002. 32 pages. [Source: Library] 

First sentence: I count down
The days of December
And watch for
The cardboard box
Mom keeps
Like a secret
At the back
Of the closet
All year.
Then, one morning,
It appears
Sudden as fog
And out comes
Three strands of bulbs
Waiting to wink
And imitate starlight,
Leftover tinsel
Still showing off
Its sparkle,
And a basket of silver balls
Too delicate
for bouncing.
Magic as mirrors,
They play catch
With every light
In the room.
I dig further and find
The gold acorns
I spray-painted
Last year, a pair
Of quilted reindeer,
And the five-pointed star
Grandma made of lace.
The box bursts with
Forgotten treasures.
But I know we're
Near the bottom
When I find
Jesus, Mary, Joseph,
And the Wise Men,
Their porcelain bodies
Wrapped like mummies.
Do they wonder
Where they've been?
I shrug, then tear their
Tissue-paper shrouds
So they can breathe.
It's then
The Wise Men whisper
Finally
Christmastime is here!

Twenty-three poems [with illustrations] help little ones [and those young at heart] count down the days until Christmas! [or Christmas Eve, to be precise]. These poems celebrate big things, little things, all the in-between things. Poems vary in length. Some poems are just three lines long! While others--like the poem I quoted above--are longer. 

I enjoyed so many of these. But I have a few favorites that I loved, loved, loved.

Plugged In

Forget the house next door.
What are you waiting for?

Like precious jewelry
We stud the rooftop
Bracelet the porch post
Bead the bushes
Pearl the footpath
And ring the old oak tree.

We are ready and set
To shimmer, so
Plug
Us
In.

Isn't that poem wonderful????

I also really loved the poem "Getting to the Good Stuff." I loved the ending so, so, so, much.

Getting to the Good Stuff

I love to open presents
On Christmas Eve, at night.
I love to guess the contents
Then see if I was right.

I love the bits of ribbon
The way the endings curl.
I love the dainty wrapping--
Just perfect for a girl.

I love the tissue paper
That teases "almost there!"
So what if I'm now eighty-three?
Go right ahead and laugh at me
And see how much I care!


© 2022 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: