Monday, February 22, 2010

Nonfiction Monday: Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11


Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11. By Brian Floca. 2009. [April 2009]. Simon & Schuster. 48 pages.

High above
there is the Moon,
cold and quiet,
no air, no life,
but glowing in the sky.


Here below
there are three men
who close themselves
in special clothes,
who--click--lock hands
in heavy gloves,
who--click--lock heads
in large, round helmets.


Told in verse, Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11 is a kid-friendly look at this historic event: man's first trip to land on the moon. Written and illustrated by Brian Floca, it is an impressive book, no doubt. (It received a Sibert Honor.) I wasn't expecting it to be in verse. I would say that was a pleasant surprise for me. I had my doubts that it could work, and there were a few places, I admit, where I thought it didn't quite work as well as others. But overall, I was pleased with this one.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: