Saturday, February 13, 2010

How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You


How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You by Jane Yolen. Illustrated by Mark Teague. 2009. [October 2009]. Scholastic. 40 pages.

You woke in the morning in such a bad mood...
then sat at the table and fussed with your food.
But then you blew kisses and waved from the door.
I love you, I love you, my dinosaur.


How unconditional is a parent's love? Is there anything a misbehaving dinosaur can do that would cause his/her parents to stop loving him/her? In How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You readers are introduced to some misbehaving dinosaurs. These dinosaurs can misbehave at times. But they can also be kind and caring and sweet. Yes, dinosaurs can be loving and stubborn.

The message of this one was a good one, in my opinion; it's always nice for kids to hear that they're loved no matter what. But.

Quite honestly this one just confused me. I *know* this one is supposed to be about unconditional love. (I think of other titles like I Love You Stinky Face.) And I *know* that the dinosaurs are supposed to represent children. The art just doesn't work for me in this one. Combining dinosaur "children" with all-too-human parents just doesn't work in my opinion. It makes for a very weird book. Of course, my opinion is just my opinion.)

This book is part of a very large series. (Though I'm just now getting introduced to it.) And apparently it's popular enough that it's ongoing. So you may like this one more than I did.

© Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: