Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Oliver Finds His Way


Root, Phyllis. 2002. First boardbook edition 2008. Oliver Finds His Way. Illustrated by Christopher Denise.

Oliver Finds His Way is a wonderful board book. (Once again I have fallen in love with a Phyllis Root book.) Oliver is a young brown bear who happens to lose his way and then with much consideration and determination finds it again. Here is how it begins, "While Mama hangs the wash out and Papa rakes the leaves, Oliver chases a big yellow leaf...down the hill, around a clumpy bush, under a twisty tree, and all the way to the edge of the woods." Before he even knows what has happened, he's lost without a clue as to how to get home again. When he realizes this, he "cries and cries and cries. But he is still lost. Oliver rubs his nose and tries to think. He thinks and thinks and thinks. All alone at the edge of the woods, Oliver has an idea." I'll leave it to you discover what his clever idea was on how to get home again, but it was an enjoyable and natural twist in my opinion.

I loved this book. Loved the illustrations. Loved the story. Loved the format. I'm sure it would have been a good picture book--the traditional format--but I'm happy to see it in sturdy board book format. I think this is one that young ones can really enjoy.

No comments: