Thursday, July 17, 2008

1, 2, Buckle My Shoe


Hines, Anna Grossnickle. 2008. 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe. Harcourt. (Illustrations by Anna Grossnickle Hines.)

Words cannot begin to convey how much I love, love, love this book. Inspired by a quilt she made for her granddaughter, 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe uses quilt blocks to illustrate the familiar (and often beloved) nursery rhyme. (In one variation or another)

One, Two, buckle my shoe.
Three, four, shut the door.
Five, Six, pick up sticks.
Seven, eight, open the gate.
Nine, ten, my big fat hen.


Simple text. Familiar text. It is in the illustrating that this one reaches perfection. And I do mean perfection. On her website, she does show the quilt as a whole. And I'll be using that image here. But the illustrations of the book are copyrighted. And I'm not trying to violate that in any way. But I think just seeing a glimpse of what the illustrations are like will convince you to seek this one out!!! (They are different than the quilt below.)

The book is wonderful. The illustrations are wonderful. And the author's site is wonderful. This book has (according to the author's site) received two stars in review journals (Kirkus, Booklist).

Read the story behind the book.

4 comments:

Cynda said...

What a great way to introduce kids to an artform that is quickly going by the wayside!

Unknown said...

How beautiful! I love that quilt picture.

Debbie said...

I've never seen this book, but will now be on the lookout for it.
thanks.

Stephanie said...

What beautiful pictures - I will look for this one!