Tuesday, May 30, 2023

121. The Kitten Who Thought He Was A Mouse


Picture Book: (Golden Book) The Kitten Who Thought He Was A Mouse. Miriam Norton. Illustrated by Garth Williams. 1951. 22 pages. [Source: Library] [Link to cover image]

First sentence: There were five Miggses: Mother and Father Miggs, and Lester and two sisters. They had, as field mice usually do, an outdoor nest for summer in an empty lot and an indoor nest for winter in a nearby house. They were very surprised one summer day to find a strange bundle in their nest, a small gray and black bundle of fur and ears and legs, with eyes not yet open. They knew by its mewing that the bundle must be a kitten, a lost kitten with no family and no name.

Premise/plot: Mickey is the kitten raised as a mouse. He goes many months thinking--believing--that he is a mouse. He's raised to fear cats, to watch for cats. So what happens when the human family discovers him, starts feeding him, and shows him--via a mirror--that he IS a cat. Can he overcome the confusion? Will he choose to live as a mouse or a cat? How will he feel about his adopted family? 

My thoughts: I'll be honest the text was all over the place. I'm all for nature versus nurture. (Though it isn't always my favorite or best theme. My favorite of this type being LAMBERT THE SHEEPISH LION which is just pure awesomeness.) I loved, loved, loved the illustrations by Garth Williams. Garth Williams illustrating cute and adorable cats, kittens, and mice?!?! I'm there for it. I'd read it for his illustrations alone.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: