Monday, May 22, 2023

115. The Teachers I Loved Best


PICTURE BOOK: The Teachers I Loved Best. Taylor Mali. Illustrated by Erica Root. 2023. [March] 32 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Easy teachers who gave easy tests
are not the teachers I loved the best.
No, I loved the teachers who made me work hard
in the classroom, the science lab, the theater, and the schoolyard.
Those are the teachers who stand out from all the rest.
Those are the teachers that I loved the best.

Premise/plot: This picture book celebrates teachers. It is written in rhyming verse. It particularly pays tribute to the arts--art teachers, music teachers, theater teachers, etc. The narrator of the poem concludes that the best teachers are the ones who love their students and are loved in return.

My thoughts: I wanted to love, love, love this one. I didn't quite. Not because I don't love and appreciate teachers. (I do). I just thought the rhythm was slightly off throughout this picture book written in verse. Just a personal opinion, I know. At times it felt a little clunky. Still, I appreciate the premise of this one.


 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: