Wednesday, May 17, 2023

111. Ways to Build Dreams

Sadly No Cover Yet

Ways to Build Dreams. Renee Watson. Illustrated by Nina Mata. 2023. [October] 208 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: Everything feels new. The clothes I got for Christmas still fit in that stiff way that new clothes fit, and they haven't been worn enough to start fading. We've finally stopped eating holiday food and have gone back to more everyday meals--peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, burgers and fries, spaghetti. We're two weeks into the new year, and still people are saying Happy New Year! if it's the first time they've seen someone since December.

Premise/plot: This is the fourth Ryan Hart novel. Previous books include: Ways To Make Sunshine, Ways to Grow Love, and Ways to Share Joy. This LOVELY chapter book covers Ryan Hart's last five months in elementary school (aka, January - May of her fifth grade year). Readers spend time with Ryan Hart at school and home. 

My thoughts: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, crazy love the Ryan Hart series. I adore every single member of her family. I love Ryan, Ray, Rose, the parents, and the grandma. I ADORE the relationships between all the family members. I love seeing the complexities of those relationships. I love seeing Ryan hang out with her best friends. I love seeing her strive at school. I love the occasional trip to church. Everything about Ryan Hart's world is one I'm invested in--I just adore this series so much. 

This one has so many perfectly-perfect scenes. I don't know if this is the last book, but if it happens to be the last book it is incredibly satisfying. (Do I want it to be the end? No. Never. I want to be friends with Ryan forever and ever and ever.) 

Quotes:

Always, they ask, What do you want to do when you grow up? but I have never been asked, Who do you want to be? I've never thought about there being a difference.
Like she [her Grandma] is thinking again about how I am changing, changing. She is smiling at me in a way that tells me her love is not based on what I do, but who I am.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: