Wednesday, May 10, 2023

105. Dazzle Makes a Wish


Dazzle Makes a Wish (Book Buddies #3) Cynthia Lord. Illustrated by Stephanie Graegin. 2023. 80 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: For weeks the unicorn waited on the toy store shelf. Families came and went, but no one bought the snow-white unicorn with a twisty horn and a sparkly pink tail. On his tag, it said his name was Dazzle. It also said that unicorns can grant wishes, but only for someone with a good heart. Dazzle didn’t know if he could grant a wish for himself. But he thought it was worth a try. So every night, he made the same wish. I wish for a home and a child of my own.

Premise/plot: Dazzle (the unicorn) has one wish--to belong to one child and be LOVED. Unfortunately, Dazzle's wish is unlikely to come true--at least in the traditional sense. Dazzle is purchased, but, not for one child. He is instead purchased for many children. He is "rescued in the wild" (if you will) by Anne the Librarian. (Or is it Ann the librarian?) Dazzle becomes a book buddy. Children (with library cards) can check out a toy--a book buddy--in addition to checking out books. Dazzle goes home with Maya as a book buddy...and adventures are had....

My thoughts: I absolutely love the Book Buddies series. I've read all three books. I highly recommend the series. It is everything I would have LOVED as a kid growing up. Let's be honest, it is everything I love now as an adult. Books and toys just go well together. I love the fantasy of it as well. Each book introduces us readers to a new toy, a new child, and new adventures. The toy sections very much read like Toy Story (minus the scary/creepy elements). While Dazzle is the toy selected by Maya; Maya's brother chooses a garden gnome whom he pretends is a wizard. It's just silly goodness. 

To be honest, Dazzle would not be my first choice of toy to bring home. I definitely discriminate against glitter. I just have a zero tolerance level for shedding glitter. This book might help me feel guilty about that. But still. 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: