Tuesday, May 23, 2023

117. Truffle: A Dog (And Cat) Story


Picture book: Truffle: A Dog (And Cat) Story. David McPhail. 2023. [June] 40 pages. [Source: Review copy] [Link to Cover Image

First sentence: Truffle was born on a farm.

Premise/plot: This picture book is a "biography" of Truffles, a dog who only slowly--oh so slowly--began to change his opinion on cats. This dog was a cat-hater for many, many, many years. In fact, he wanted to travel to a place where there were NO CATS. (The travel agent said, no, such a place doesn't exist!) How does a dog come to have a cat for a best, best friend???

My thoughts: This picture book has an old fashioned [delightfully old-fashioned] vibe. It does read more like a biography than most picture books. There is story, but it goes at its own pace. I don't mind the slower pace. I enjoyed the illustrations and the story. I LOVE the direction the story goes. I love the inclusion of tea, for example. I don't know that this one will have much appeal to young children--or masses of young children. It's not your typical book. But I--as an adult--really enjoyed it.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: