Thursday, May 18, 2023

112. Ella Fitzgerald (She Persisted)


Ella Fitzgerald (She Persisted) Andrea Davis Pinkney. Illustrated by Alexandra Boiger. 2023. [April] 80 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Ella Jane Fitzgerald was born with her own special rhythm.

Premise/plot: Ella Fitzgerald is one of the nonfiction biographies in the "She Persisted" series. It is an illustrated chapter book biography. It is an age-appropriate biography of the legendary singer. It will serve as an introduction (I hope!) to Ella Fitzgerald's music.

My thoughts: I love, love, love Ella Fitzgerald. I do. While adults who are familiar with her life probably won't learn much that is 'new' to them, this is a good introduction for elementary-aged young readers. There are a few picture book biographies of her as well, I believe.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: