Thursday, May 4, 2023

102. Astrid Astronaut: The Astronomically Grand Plan


The Astronomically Grand Plan (Astrid the Astronaut #1) Rie Neal. Illustrated by Talitha Shipman. 2022. [July] 112 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I tapped my clock for the millionth time: 12:06 a.m. The numbers flashed off like they always did. As if they were mad I'd woken them up.

Premise/plot: Astrid, the protagonist, dreams of being the first astronaut in space with hearing aids. Space is literally all she thinks about. Okay, not fair exactly. She also emphatically wants her friend, Hallie, to be equally obsessed with space and to share the exact same hopes and dreams--Shooting Stars club, Space Camp, Space. But this third grader is to be disappointed in part. Her best friend wants art club, not the Shooting Stars. And she doesn't seem interested at all--not even a little bit--in listening to her friend talk about space. (Did she ever?) So if friendship is important to Astrid, perhaps it's time to make new friends in Shooting Stars.

My thoughts: I liked this one. It has potential. I don't regret my time reading it by any means. I would probably check out other books from the library in this series. I'm not sure I'd be terribly upset if the library didn't order them all. But it was enjoyable enough. I think future books might have more story.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: