Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Louise Loves Bake Sales

Louise Loves Bake Sales (Louise Readers #1) Laura Driscoll. Illustrated by Kelly Light. 2018. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I love art! I love this kind of art. I love that kind of art. I see art in everything!

Premise/plot: Louise and Art are back in an early reader series. These two were first introduced in Kelly Light's Louise Loves Art. In this first book in the series, Louise is super excited to participate in a first grade bake sale. But when her cupcakes don't go as planned--when they are not as artistic as she'd envisioned--will she find a way to make it work?

My thoughts: I really LOVED this one. Yes, it's super-simple. It's a level one beginner reader with the I Can Read! brand. This means "simple sentences for eager new readers." But there's joy packed into these sentences. The story is joyful. Louise's problem-to-solve comes from mixing frosting colors. So in part this one could be said to be "teaching" a concept.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: