Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Board book: Scratchie: A Touch and Feel Cat-Venture

Scratchie:  A Touch-and-Feel Cat-Venture. Maria Putri. 2019. Simon & Schuster. 2019. 24 pages.

First sentence: Hi there, human! I'm Scratchie, the cat. And just like my name, I like to scratch stuff to keep my claws super sharp! Let's scratch things together.

Premise/plot: Touch-and-feel board books are nothing new or particularly unique. But this one has a fun premise. It is inviting readers to SCRATCH things along with the cat hero, Scratchie.

My thoughts: Don't expect the objects that you are "scratching" (aka touching/feeling) to remotely feel like what they are supposed to be. With a few minor exceptions. The textures aren't bad; they just don't correlate with their objects. Probably my favorite textures were the one on the cover and the "paper towel" (aka wash rag.)

I love the premise of this one. I do. But I was slightly disappointed. This does not mean that little ones won't like it.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: