Monday, May 20, 2019

Chicken in Charge

Chicken in Charge. Adam Lehrhaupt. Illustrated by Shahar Kober. 2019. HarperCollins. 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "The farmer is away," said Sam. "Who is caring for the new lambs?" "I am!" said Zoey. "This chicken is in charge!"

Premise/plot: Have you met Zoey the chicken yet? She's starred in Chicken in Space, Chicken in School, Chicken in Mittens, and Chicken on Vacation--some of these are picture books and others are early readers. Zoey is a hoot of a character. She's a chicken who marches to her own drum. In this adventure, she's in charge of the lambs...

My thoughts: I LOVE Zoey. I do. Perhaps love is a strong word to use for an early reader, after all how entertaining can an early reader hope to be in the grand scheme of things? VERY. Or perhaps I just have a weakness for Lehrhaupt's sense of humor.

I think my FAVORITE, FAVORITE part was when Zoey reads the lambs to sleep...or tries to! She reads them CHICKEN IN SPACE and CHICKEN IN SCHOOL. 

© 2019 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: