Monday, November 6, 2023

291. Detective Duck: Case of the Strange Splash

Detective Duck #1: The Case of the Strange Splash. Henry Winkler. Illustrated by Lin Oliver. 2023. [October 17]  80 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Willow Feathers was the only duck in the world whose father was a beaver. Most ducks are raised by ducks, just like most snails are raised by snails and most giraffes are raised by giraffes.

Premise/plot: Willow Feathers is VERY curious. She wants to be a detective 'when she grows up.' In this her first case, she's investigating a strange splash--a tire in the pond. Can she figure out what made the splash and the who and why behind the splash? 

My thoughts: I wasn't wowed. I thought it would be more fun than it actually was. That may not be the book's fault. Reading is so subjective and so much depends on reader's expectations. Another thing to consider, obviously, is that I'm not the book's target audience. I didn't find it worse than other mystery series books for this age group. I just didn't find it outstandingly better than the typical mystery.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: