Wednesday, November 8, 2023

292. I Am Mister Rogers

291. I Am Mister Rogers. Brad Meltzer. Illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos. 2023. [October 31] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood, a beautiful day for a neighbor. 

Premise/plot: This one is a picture book biography--with graphic novel elements--of Mister Rogers. It tells of his life and his life's work, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. It includes all the highlights--everything you could want with a kid-friendly delivery. 

My thoughts: I love, love, love Mr. Rogers. I do. I really do. For so many decades there were no picture book biographies of Fred Rogers. Then around 2019 or 2020 they started flowing in. Now there are choices. I must say I really loved the text of this one. I can't say that I am crazy in love with the illustrations--when comparing them to the other picture book biographies I've read. But the text more than makes up for it. The illustrations aren't bad--let me make this clear. It is just a very comic/cartoon style. It is an artistic choice that I may not personally love, but it is consistent throughout this series. So it make sense for the series, for sure. I would definitely recommend this one. I loved all the information.


© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: