Monday, November 20, 2023

303-309. Picture Book Parade


303. I Want 100 Dogs. Stacy McAnulty. Illustrated by Claire Keane. 2023. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: I want 100 dogs.
That sounds fun. But where would 100 dogs sleep?

Premise/plot: A little girl declares she wants 100 dogs, but are her parents receptive to this idea????? As the discussion unfolds, will they be able to reach a compromise????

My thoughts: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one. I love that they reason through this scenario. It allows for some amusing imagery and illustrations. I love the ending as well. Very cute! The parents say something...and then the child says something. Very satisfying. Yes, I know this is super-super-super vague. But I also think giving it away before you pick up the book is like a movie trailer where ALL the best lines of the movie are revealed--albeit without context. Trust me this one is fun.

 


304. The Bear and Her Book. Frances Tosdevin. 2023. [November] 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: A bear marched out on a moonlight night.
Her fur was thick, and her eyes were bright.
She sniffed the air, and she licked a paw--
she loved her home, but she wanted more...

Premise/plot: Bear wants MORE so she sets out to see the world one adventure at a time. She takes along with her a book BEAR'S BIG BOOK OF BEING WISE. She uses the book throughout as she meets others and encounters various situations. Will Bear ever settle down?

My thoughts: I liked this one. Bear loves books and living life to the fullest. Most of the book is about her world adventures, but, that's not quite how it ends. I liked that it includes both kinds of adventures--real world and bookish.


305. Out Cold (A little Bruce book) Ryan T. Higgins. 2023. [October 3] 32 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: It is wintertime in Soggy Hollow, and there are lots of fun things to do outside. But Bruce is not outside. He is inside. With a cold. The mice are inside, too. But not for long. "It was so nice of Bruce to send us outside to play in the snow," says Nibbs. 

Premise/plot: Bruce stars in this "little" picture book. This one is part of a much larger series. There are bigger picture books and littler ones. (Some of the books focus around seasons, holidays, occasions.) These are recurring characters that continue to delight.

My thoughts: READ THE WHOLE SERIES. Read them again again again. I absolutely love, love, love these characters. Bruce is so relatable. I imagine his "children" are as well. (The children being mice.) I love how expressive the illustrations are. These books such great fun. 


306. Just One Flake. Travis Jonker. 2023. [October 10] 48 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: I want to catch a snowflake. Just one snowflake. Right here: [points to his tongue] I'm not going back inside until I do it. This should work.

Premise/plot: Will our protagonist [a little boy] persevere and actually actually catch a snowflake on his tongue? Or will his many, many efforts be in vain? Will this day in the snow be a happy one? What's the perfect end to the day?

My thoughts: I absolutely LOVE the illustrations. Some of the spreads capture pure JOY and HAPPINESS. It is a fun, sweet seasonal story. 


307. A Very Cranky Book. Angela and Tony DiTerlizzi. 2023. [September] 40 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: Did you look at my cover and think Wow this looks like a book I should pick up and read? Well, that was the worst idea in the HISTORY OF IDEAS. Because I am a very cranky book.

Premise/plot: The protagonist of this book is a VERY CRANKY BOOK. This is written in second person, the book is speaking directly to you, the reader. The book tries to discourage readers from reading him.

My thoughts: I didn't dislike this one. I just wasn't wowed. Of course, not every book will wow every reader. This one is all about 'breaking the fourth wall' and speaking directly to readers and "interacting" with them. It is very much premise driven. There isn't much substance beyond that gimmick. Of course, some may be amused by this one? It's certainly possible that there is an audience for this type of book. (And this isn't the first or last to use this gimmick.) 


308. The Big Cheese. Jory John. Illustrated by Peter Oswald. 2023. [November] 40 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: They call me Cheese. The Big Cheese. Oh, say it with me please....THE BIG CHEESE! 

Premise/plot: This one is narrated by a cheese with a big ego. He spends 90 percent of the book being insufferable. Then he learns a lesson. (Will it stick?)

My thoughts: I am not a big fan of Jory John's 'food' series. I know some readers are. I know these books often do well and are well received. All seem to have a didactic message or moral attached. (Yet they do well anyway). I don't dislike the series, it's just not a favorite of mine. 


309. Lullaby for The King. Nikki Grimes. Illustrated by Michelle Carlos. 2023. [October 10] 48 pages. [Source: Library] [picture book]

First sentence: One magnificent morning in Israel,
when the sun warmed the Great Salt Sea,
word spread to every living creature:
The Holy One has, at last, been born.
A season of celebration can begin!

Premise/plot: This holiday book focuses almost exclusively on animals. This isn't unheard of, there are other songs, stories, books about animals worshipping Jesus Christ the newborn King of the universe. Sometimes authors choose to approach the nativity from an animal perspective. This isn't one animal's journey or perspective. Each stanza of this narrative focuses on another animal or group of animals. Each animal bears a gift for Jesus. There are a LOT of animals and a LOT of gifts.

My thoughts: This one is unusual. I haven't decided if it's good unusual or just unusual. I wanted to love this one. I've really enjoyed Nikki Grime's books in the past. The illustrations are bright, bold, striking. Not necessarily realistic. The imagery is substantive. This isn't a cutesy story for toddlers and preschoolers necessarily.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: