Wednesday, November 8, 2023

293-295. Picture Book Parade

293. How To Count to One: And Don't Even Think About Bigger Numbers. Caspar Salmon. Illustrated by Matt Hunt. 2023. [June] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Hello! Welcome to a fun new counting book. Are you ready to start counting? As we go through the book, follow the instructions. Don't worry if you make a mistake! Let's start with something nice and easy. Do you know what an apple looks like? Good! Simply count how many apples you see.

Premise/plot: This is an interactive counting concept book with a twist. The twist is to trick little ones into breaking the rules and counting higher than one. Every page actively discourages little ones from counting higher. The text and illustrations keep getting sillier. Will your little one "accidentally" learn to count higher than one?

My thoughts: I enjoyed this reverse psychology interactive concept book. It was silly, amusing, fun. It kept surprising me. I knew the general idea of it going in, but I didn't know what silly situations would pop up next as I kept turning the pages. This one is a bit on the oversized side. I haven't decided if it would be best shared one on one or if it would be good for a group read aloud.

294. Squash, the Cat. Sasha Mayer. 2023. [August] 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: This is Squash. You might he able to guess how he got his name. Squash is an early-breakfast followed by a midmorning nap and then another nap kind of cat. Squash's best friend is Maggie.

Premise/plot: Squash's human MAGGIE gets upset with him for squashing her new tunnel. Will she forgive him? 

My thoughts: I wish, in a way, that this one was about another topic. I mean sure forgiveness is important and all. Okay it is also extremely relevant to this target-audience (age group). But I wanted MORE Squash being adorable and less life lessons. I thought Squash was adorable.

295. Just Because. Matthew McConaughey. Illustrated by Renee Kurilla. 2023. [September] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Just because they threw the dart, doesn't mean that it stuck. Just because I've got skills, doesn't mean there is no luck. 

Premise/plot: Rhyming couplets offer plenty of enigmas or food for thought for older readers. Each couplet starts with "just because." Each relies heavily on the illustrations. In fact, without the illustrations, the rhymes would have no point. (Though one could argue that some might still not have a point????)

My thoughts: Who is the audience for Just Because? Is it adult librarians? teachers? graduating seniors? At what age do you have to be to really appreciate many mini-life-lessons? This one is for readers who want to unpack meaning in riddles and enigmas. It might be a good conversation starter for small groups. I do think some of the couplets could be interpreted in more than one way. 

I personally was not a fan. Reading is subjective. There are probably readers--of some age--that will appreciate this one and find some depth.


© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: