Thursday, November 16, 2023

302. 10 Dogs


10 Dogs. Emily Gravett. 2023. [September] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: 10 dogs. 10 sausages. 1 dog with all the sausages. 9 dogs with none. 2 dogs each with half of them. 8 dogs wanting some. 3 dogs with more sausages. 7 dogs with less. 4 dogs guard the sausages. 6 dogs not impressed.

Premise/plot:  Is it a story? Is it a math lesson? Why not both? This makes for a fun early-elementary read aloud. Back in the day I wouldn't be surprised if teachers had chosen to extend the book's activity with flannel figures--dogs and sausages. 

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I thought it was fun, playful. I don't always "love" math problems, but an entertaining story with sausages and dogs???? YES please. 

Definitely recommend this one to early grades.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: