Monday, November 6, 2023

285-290 Board books on parade


285. Dragon's First Taco (Board Book) Adam Rubin. Illustrated by Daniel Salmieri. 2023. [September] 16 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Hey, little dragon. Do you know what this is? It's called a taco. You are going to love it. Let's make one together.

Premise/plot: A novelty prequel to Dragons Love Tacos. It is a novelty board book because it is taco-shaped (which makes it SO fun to hold and read). In this one, Dragon learns what makes a taco, a taco. It ends with a fundamental truth: One taco is never enough.

My thoughts: I remember reading earlier Dragon picture books years ago yet not recently enough to say I am a fan. I am a BIG, BIG, BIG fan of tacos. I like the taco-shape. It's fun. It's silly. Would I recommend checking it out from the library? Yes. Would I necessarily recommend everyone rush out to buy it? Probably not. Unless your little one REALLY loves the Dragon books OR is a really big fan of tacos. I can imagine that little ones probably would like holding this one, perhaps chewing on it.


286. I'll Be A Chicken Too (Board book) Lana Vanderlee. Illustrated by Mike Deas. 2023. [May] 22 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: If you're a baby chicken,
then I'll be a chicken too.
And if you're a little rooster,
then I'll cock-a-doodle-doo!
If you can bark and wag your tail,
well, then I'll be a dog.
And if you live on lily pads,
of course I'll be a frog.

Premise/plot: Written in rhyme, this one celebrates unconditional love and families. There are so many books about a parent loving a child. Sometimes they star animals. Sometimes they star humans. Some are in rhyme, some aren't. This one is fairly typical. 

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. Yes, it has been done thousands of times. But most are enjoyable enough. This one is cute and fun. Will it stay in print? Only time will tell. This one would make a sweet read aloud with little ones.


287. Fifteen Animals (Board book). Sandra Boynton. 2002/2008/2014. 24 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I really like animals. I like them a lot. Fifteen animals is what I've got. I've got fifteen animals. They're friendly and tame and I've given each one a special name--

Premise/plot: This counting, animal-themed book features a twist. A twist that is revealed as the protagonist reveals the names of his fifteen animals....I won't be spoiling here.

My thoughts: This one was over-the-top-silly. I liked it. Probably more than most of Sandra Boynton's other board books. I don't always love them. (Though I know they are supposedly always awesome.) 


288. Snow (Board book) Leslie Patricelli. 2023. [September] 26 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It's snowing! Everything is white. We get dressed. Suits so tight.

Premise/plot: Leslie Patricelli has written so many board books starring the same ADORABLE little baby. In this one, Baby has a play date. Baby and friend will play, play, play in the snow before heading inside.

My thoughts: I typically have loved some of the 'Baby' board books. I didn't love this one. I overthought this one way too much. For example, why is Baby just wearing a diaper in the house when it is winter? Why is the baby bathing with a friend? Do friends really hang around undressed and take baths together? Maybe. Maybe not. I could be overthinking.


289. Leo at the Park (Board book) Anna McQuinn. 2023. [June] 18 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Phew! The sun is hot, hot, hot! Leo and Mommy are going to the park. Yay! Wave, Leo! Yu is here in the shade. 

Premise/plot: Leo and Yu are having a play date at the park. 

My thoughts: This one is set in the summer (presumably). Leo and his friend have a good time playing at the park. The text is simple. The illustrations are joyful and bright.


290. Snow, Snow, Snow. (Board book) Sandra Boynton. 2023. [September] 24 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Oh, there is snow, snow, snow. It's coming down, down, down, and it is fall, fall, falling all around, round, round. And you can tell, tell, tell what's on it's way--ee--yay. Yes! it will soon, soon, soon be Christmas Day!

Premise/plot: All the friends have gathered together to sing, sing, sing and welcome in the holiday season.

My thoughts: Don't give me a song without giving me a tune. Yes, this is me overthinking things. Yes, I think about how I would read this aloud. I don't want to 'perform' a song unprepared.  

ETA: I read the VERY SMALL PRINT and there is a SONG on YouTube. The song is delightful when you hear the tune. I just think it should be more obvious that you have to go to YouTube to enjoy this board book. Turns out it is DOO-WOP.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: