Thursday, November 2, 2023

282. Dory Fantasmagory: Can't Live Without You (#6)


Dory Fantasmagory #6: Can't Live Without You. Abby Hanlon. 2023. [September] 160 pages. [Source: Library]

 First sentence: My name is Dory but everyone calls me Rainbow. "Nobody calls you Rainbow," says my big brother, Luke. "Remember?" I whisper. "I'm a teenager named Rainbow." "It's hard to remember you're a teenager when you have syrup all over your face," says my big sister, Violet. I feel my face. It is very sticky.

Premise/plot: Dory returns for her sixth adventure. In this one she becomes extremely clingy to her mother. Not that that keeps her from imagining her best life ever. OR from making great friends with the new babysitter. This one, like previous titles, features MANY adventures and misadventures--a blending of real and imaginary play. This one continues on the stories of her imaginary friends and enemies. 

My thoughts: This one was so funny. It has been a while since I read one of these books. I loved the writing/narrative voice. For example, we learn that Saturday is NIGHTGOWN day and naturally Dory doesn't want to leave the house to go to Creative Dance. I also love the line where Dory offers both the pennies and the PIG to her mother in an effort to persuade her to keep on being a stay at home mom. 

 I do wish my library had the fifth book. I've read the first four and the sixth.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: