Monday, August 2, 2021

97. See the Cat: Three Stories About a Dog


See the Cat: Three Stories About A Dog. David LaRochelle. Illustrated by Mike Wohnoutka. 2020. [September] 64 pages.  [Source: Library]

First sentence: See the Cat.

Premise/plot: The dog has a bit of an argument with the narrator in this FUN and FEISTY beginner reader. It all starts with a simple little sentence--hardly unique to any beginner reader--see the cat. The problem? The cat is no where to be seen.

Narrator: See the cat.
Dog: I am not a cat. I am a dog.
Narrator: See the blue cat.
Dog: I am not blue and I am not a cat.
Narrator: The blue cat is in a green dress.
Dog: I do not have a green dress!
Narrator: The cat's name is Baby Cakes.
Dog: That is NOT my name. My name is Max.
Narrator: See the blue cat in a green dress riding a pink unicorn.
Dog: There is no cat! There is no dress! There is no unicorn! There is just me, Max the dog!

You get the idea. There are THREE stories in all. All involve Max the dog and the narrator. The stories are "See the Cat," "See the Snake," and "See the Dog."

My thoughts: It was LOVE, LOVE, LOVE at first sight. Within the first few pages I knew this book was made for me. It is just my cup of tea. Everything about it is just perfectly perfectly perfect. It's the exact kind of book that I would have read to tatters and had every single word memorized.

Highly recommended. I hope that I get a chance to read the companion book, See the Dog, Three Stories about a Cat which releases in September 2021. 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: