Wednesday, August 11, 2021

114. If You Were An Elephant


If You Were An Elephant. Leslie Staub. Illustrated by Richard Jones. 2021. [July] 32 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: If you were an elephant, you'd be the biggest animal who lives on the land. You'd have ears big as tent flaps, skin thick as blankets. You'd turn the next page with your trunk, not your hand.

Premise/plot: What you see is what you get--and that's a GOOD thing. This picture book celebrates elephants! It asks readers to imagine what it would be like to be an elephant.

You'd walk the savanna
on legs thick as tree trunks,
on feet flat as pancakes.

and

And when you got thirsty,
You'd trump to the water hole.
You'd guzzle gallons and gallons.

and

You'd send buckets of water
splashing all over.
You'd be a fountain
spraying rainbows around!

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one! I thought the narrative was lovely. I liked all the descriptions and imagery.

Elephants have always been one of my favorite, favorite, favorite animals. (Perhaps only second to cats.) I definitely recommend this one to elephant lovers.

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: