Saturday, August 14, 2021

116. Better with Butter


Better with Butter. Victoria Piontek. 2021. [July] 320 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: It's not easy being a coward. In fact, it takes a lot of work to be afraid of everything. 

Premise/plot: Marvel, our heroine, is afraid of EVERYTHING. Which is a problem considering that if she doesn't get over at least some of her fears by the time of the sixth grade play, well, she won't be passing sixth grade. The book opens with a terrifying panic attack--on stage in front of EVERYONE. But soon after her totally humiliating experience--an experience which earns her the nickname Frosty, by a few bullies--she stumbles across a miniature fainting goat named BUTTER. Forgetting about herself, temporarily at least, she steps in to "save" Butter from some bullies and ends up taking the goat home with her! With Butter by her side (mostly by her side) as an emotional support animal, Marvel's anxiety lessens and her world expands....but what if finders keepers doesn't apply? What if Butter's real owner shows up? Can Marvel succeed without Butter?

My thoughts: I really LOVED this one. I could relate to Marvel. I thought Butter was adorable. There were so many things that felt oh-so-right about this middle grade novel. I even liked that the sixth graders decided to put on a stage play production of HEIDI so that Butter could be near Marvel.

Quotes:

Worrying is my brain's background music. Sometimes the volume is high, sometimes it's low, but it's never off. I can literally worry about anything, but right now it feels like the current playlist is the same five songs--"Stage Fright," "Everyone Laughed," "Caught on Video," "They Called Her Frosty," "Sixth Grade Failure"--on a constant loop.

"You know, I might not ever get over my anxiety completely."
"You might not," Mom agrees.
"It might always be a part of me, but I think now I understand it doesn't have to be the biggest part." As soon as I say it, I know it's true.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Young Readers

No comments: